The thoracic surgery team at Temple is focused solely on the diagnosis and treatment of diseases of the thorax. Our special training, advanced surgical techniques and multidisciplinary team work to provide the best care and outcomes for adult patients with cancer and other conditions of the lung, trachea, esophagus, mediastinum, diaphragm or chest wall.
Our surgical procedures and services include:
- Pulmonary resections (lobectomy, segmentectomy-wedge, pneumonectomy)
- Esophageal resections (esophagectomy)
- Lung volume reduction surgery and bullectomy
- Tracheobronchial procedures
- Esophageal diverticulectomy, fundoplication, and myotomy
- Endoscopic stenting or ablation
- Transoral incisionless fundoplication (TIF)
- Per-oral endoscopic myotomy (POEM)
- Resection of mediastinal cysts or tumors
- Chest wall reconstructions
- Hiatal hernia repair
We also provide advanced screening, diagnostic, and prognostic tests such as CT, PET, EBUS/EUS, navigational and fiberoptic bronchoscopy, esophagoscopy, video mediastinoscopy, esophageal manometry/pH monitoring and evaluation and interpretation of biomarkers and genetic signatures.
Emphasizing Robotic & Minimally Invasive Techniques
Temple thoracic surgeons are leaders in developing and applying state-of-the-art robotic-assisted, laparoscopic, endoscopic, and other minimally invasive techniques, including non-surgical repair of benign esophageal diseases such as transoral incisionless fundoplication (TIF) and per-oral endoscopic myotomy (POEM). We perform open or minimally invasive surgeries as clinically indicated. Most of our patients now benefit from robotic surgery which may offer less pain and bleeding, fewer complications, faster recovery and more precise repairs.
Our approach to managing these conditions is more advanced than that of most other centers. Examples of procedures that are performed routinely by Temple Thoracic surgeons include:
- Totally robotic lung resection for malignant and benign disease
- Totally robotic esophageal surgery for malignant and benign disease
- Totally robotic mediastinal surgery for malignant and benign disease
- Trans-cervical thymectomy for myasthenia gravis
- Micro-thoracoscopy for hyperhidrosis
- Esophageal and bronchial dilation, stenting and ablation of tumors
- Natural orifice transluminal endoscopic surgery (NOTES) for certain benign conditions such as transoral incisionless fundoplication (TIF) for GERD and per-oral endoscopic myotomy (POEM) for achalasia.
To schedule an appointment with a Temple thoracic surgeon, click here or call 1-800-TEMPLE-MED (1-800-836-7536).